Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Long Trip


I recently took a long trip down the California coastline from the San Francisco Bay area where I live to Los Angeles.  There are three ways to make this trip in a car, Interstate 5, Highway 101, or Highway 1.  The interstate is always the fastest even when dealing with traffic in the major cities, but I usually take 101 because it's more scenic (and less crowded).   But the shortest route of the three is still much further than my Smart ED can go on one charge.

My truck is the distance vehicle.   Although it sucks down the fuel like almost no other vehicle, it does have a very high capacity for fuel.  But it has a few other features that the Smart does not, including cruise control and powered seats. I've heard that many people who own the ICE Smart love to take it on long trips.  But I'd rather just put the Smart ED in the bed of my truck and unpack it when I arrive.

A long while ago I came to the conclusion that travelling should and can be fun, rather than a horrific endurance test to get there as quickly as possible.  I love to drive both my truck and the Smart ED, but they each have their purposes.

The truck is great for long trips.  It's very comfortable, like driving a couch.  It can go 500 miles before needing to be refueled.  It has lots of storage space for people and things.  But it's terrible for small city streets and parking.  The Smart ED however, is not too comfortable on trips greater than 50 miles. It only has a range of 70 miles, and refueling takes a few hours.  It has almost no storage space and just enough room for two people.  But it's awesome for small city streets and parking.

I will admit that I miss the creature comforts of my truck when I'm in the Smart. And I miss the regenerative breaking, amazing torque, and impressive maneuverability, when driving the truck.  But as far as I know, there is no way to combine the two features for less than $50k and still have it be electric. For now I am resigned to having two vehicles that each have a specific purpose and look forward to the day when I can get an all electric truck that has the range of an ICE vehicle (that is affordable).

No comments:

Post a Comment