Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Very Dirty, Clean Car





I've owned more than one truck in my lifetime and I currently own one of the least efficient trucks that a consumer can, in the US.  I like utility.  Trucks are definitely not considered to be very efficient, unless they are used for moving are objects or numbers of people.

The measure of a vehicle's "greenness" is factor of how efficient it is.  It would be very inefficient to drive a large truck with no cargo and only one occupant (the driver). The phrase "being green" is to state about how little oxidized carbon is put into the air by the operation of the vehicle.  Greenness is Cleanness.

By contrast to the truck, the Smart ED is VERY green.  It was, in fact, determined to be most green car on the road by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) in 2014.   The Smart ForTwo ED has an exceptionally high MPGe (Miles Per Gallon equivalent) rating of 107 average (92 hwy, 122 city).  If you were to convert it's range to an equivalent gas tank, it would be roughly 0.66 gallons.

So why is this such a dirty car, if it has been verified to be very green and thereby clean?

One of the things that drivers (most people in the US) do on a regular basis, is to visit a fueling station. Of course electric car drivers do this as well, but there is one major difference between fueling stations for electric and gasoline.   An industry has grown up around the "Gas Station".  It's not just a place to pump gas into the gas tank any more.

Gas stations are often mini-markets in additional fueling stations, and some are also car washes. It is possible to use a squeegee to clean the windows of your vehicle.  Some stations have LCD monitors embedded atop the pump to run news and advertisements.  The fueling station is nearly a destination.

Nearly 100% of the time I refuel my Smart ED at home.  And although I could quite easily vacuum and wash the vehicle, I had not yet trained myself to do that on a regular basis.   Sadly, I have only done it once in the nine months that I have owned my Smart ED.   And my wife and some friends have made note of the fact that the floor and seats are in need of cleaning.

I have once visited a gas station to use the squeegee and refill the tires, but I do feel a tad unwelcome.  Even if I wanted to get gasoline, I would need a sealed container or a proper gas tank to legally purchase it.

So it seems that at least until electrical fueling stations become popular, I must change my ways and actually clean my car at home.  Or at least hope that the purveyor of the fueling station doesn't care that I use the facilities without paying for the fuel.


No comments:

Post a Comment