Sunday, January 12, 2014

Two Months and 2000 miles

Smart ED

Two Months and 2000 miles

As of December 31st 2013 I reached my first 2000 miles in the Smart ED.  I realize that this is not a major accomplishment for most people because any commuter with a commute of 50 miles or more will hit that every month.  But as my commute is only a round trip of 25 miles, I had to make a few more stops to hit that mark.

What I've come to realize about the Smart ED is that I truly enjoy driving it.  It's a small, light, fast car; a stark comparison to my other vehicle (Chevy Avalanche).  It accelerates very quickly and stops just as quickly.  It is much more deft and agile than you might expect from something that appears to be top-heavy. As the majority of the weight is in the floor with the batteries, the center of gravity is quite low.  

Getting in and out of the car is something that was important to me.  I am still quite fond of my truck for its ease-of-access.  The doors on the Smart ED swing wide, but aren't heavy.  I've never felt like I would lose the door when opening it too quickly, and I've never felt that I would gash a serious ding if I did.  Additionally, at at height of nearly 2 meters (6'4"), I've never had trouble fitting my long legs or torso in the cabin.  But it is important to note that the slimness of the car is noticeable when both people are attempting to fasten their safety belts.

Decisions, decisions...

If you had a garage full of fun, functional vehicles, you'd probably have a favorite, regardless of price.  Each vehicle has its own style, flair, and purpose.  The Smart ED is my first choice to drive for more than just the cost savings and fun.   It's really quite easy to park and in spaces that no other vehicle can consider.

I've actually posed this question to myself at least ten times in the last two months.  Would I prefer to take the internal combustion vehicle with its cushy, heated seats, luxurious cruise and climate control, power steering and brakes, and lack of range anxiety? And the answer always comes back, "unless we're going on a long trip or need to haul something large, no. This car is too much fun."

The fun of driving the Smart ED outweighs the ease of driving just about anything else.

Electric Vs. Electric

There are more than a dozen electric vehicles to choose from on the market today (at least in California).  Several are in the same price range as the Smart ED.  But they have one problem, they're all too big.   The only good comparative tool that I have been able to use with the Smart ED is that of a motorbike.

The Smart ED is a four-wheeled, electric motorbike.  It's very small, can only barely carry one additional person. It has limited range, but a great deal of torque and speed.   It's very easy to park and like a motorbike can (not legally) park perpendicular to the curb.  The biggest advantage, as noted by many motorbike riders, is the enclosed cabin for trips in bad weather (or locust).  Also, it's not likely to tip over on you.

Conclusion

I was thinking that at some point the apparent novelty of driving electric or a small car would wear off, but it has yet to happen.   When I bought a Toyota Tacoma some years back, I knew within 2 weeks that it was a poor decision.  I've only owned six vehicles in 18 years, but I've driven at least 50.  I hope to drive every car eventually as I'd like to experience them all.  But for now I am quite content to drive the Smart ED and park it just about anywhere.















No comments:

Post a Comment